9 March 2009

Teens Job The Complete Guide

I just finished reading "A Complete Idiot's Guide to Cool Jobs for Teens" by Susan Ireland. As the CEO of a teen job site, I have read almost every book published about the topic of teen jobs. This book is better than most but still not great. As part of the "Idiot Guides" the book is written in a straight forward and simple manner, which I like. My problem with the book is that there is a lot of fluff and a lot of filler. Almost half the book is devoted to describing the top 50 professions. I found this section to have little to no value and to me was put in there to fill 75 pages. Everyone knows what a cashier is or what a lifeguard is, we certainly do not need to pay $12.95 to find out.
There are some good parts to the book as well. I really like the section that deals with finding out which job is best according to your likes and dislikes and personalities. This is very useful for any job seeker and this is magnified when you are talking about teens. I also like the fact that the author devotes an entire chapter to discussing jobs that help care for people and for animals. I believe that working with those that are in need and animals are great ways for teens to gain experience in the workplace and I was glad to see that the author agrees with my philosophy on that.
I do disagree with her highlighting the labor related jobs. It is my belief that teens should be very careful with those types of jobs because the risk of injury is so high.
In closing, I would recommend the book, there is some goof information, I would check it out at the library or buy a used copy if you can here.
http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Dan_Keller
Hey i will only add that yes i like the book, it is a very good guide. But i feel you should only take a job for what you will learn and not how much you will earn read the book and find out which job you will learn best from.

No comments:

Post a Comment